Our Institute focuses mainly on the analysis of the issues and contemporary social and economic problems, always adopting the perspective that combines analytical rigor and applicability of the results, so that we can contribute to decision-making and policy design both from the social point of view and in terms of companies and institutions. However, the activities of the IAES also seek to strengthen and improvie the research excellence at the University of Alcalá, especially in the field of Social Sciences. In accordance with the foregoing, the IAES has the following basic lines of action :
Social-economic and applied research from a multidisciplinary perspective .
- Advisory and consultancy work for organizations, companies and institutions, both Spanish and international.
- Spreading the research and studies conducted through the publication of books, articles, working papers and contributions to conferences, seminars and other outside activities.
- Programming and developing postgraduate teaching activities as well as courses for specialists in the research areas .
The main lines of research undertaken by our Institute are focused on five major areas:
- Services and Innovation
- Labour Economics
- Territorial and Urban Analysis
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Activity
- Corporate Social Responsibility
This classification has not been an obstacle to develop projects referred to other areas of research that could end up opening another lines. Among others they may be mentioned the following: macroeconomic studies, distribution, trade and consumption, leisure activities and tourism, public sector and non-profit activities , and public policy evaluation.